October 10, 2019
Wildcat Athletics for the Week of
October 7th – October 11th
CHS Homecoming Week !!
THE COLUMBIA WILDCAT ATHLETIC ADIDAS STORE IS CLOSED AT THIS TIME. IT WILL OPEN AGAIN VERY SOON!
Welcome to the Wildcat Athletics Program
Dear Parents and Student‐Athletes,
We would like to welcome you to the Tyrrell County Schools Athletic Program! We have worked hard this summer to make some positive changes in our program to benefit all of our student athletes and their families. We believe that participation in sports provides a wealth of opportunities and experiences that assist students in personal growth and development. Therefore, we want each of you to have a wonderful wildcat athletic experience!
Tyrrell County Schools believes in the development of young men and women through athletics. We feel that a properly structured, well‐organized sports program meets student’s needs for self‐ expression, mental alertness, and physical growth. It is our pledge to maintain a program that is sound in purpose and will further each student’s educational maturity. Likewise, we believe that parents have committed themselves to certain responsibilities and obligations to the student‐athlete. We would like to take this opportunity to acquaint you with specific changes that are necessary for a well‐organized athletic program.
It is the role of the Athletic Department to make rules governing interscholastic competition. These rules need broad‐based community support to be fully effective. This is best achieved through mutual communication between the Athletic Department, the student‐athletes and the parents of each of our student‐athletes. One way that we have committed to accomplishing this objective is through this athletic handbook for students, parents and coaches.
The most important reason that our department exists is to ensure that students have an opportunity to partake in and enjoy sports during their time at Tyrrell County Schools. As an athletic department, we can assure you that students and the teams in which they are a part of are the guiding force in everything we do and every decision that we make. Our focus and primary objective—in making this handbook and in all that we do—will always be to do what is in the best interest of the student and their team. We hope this combination will help ensure a promising and successful year for Wildcat Athletics.
Thank you for taking the time to read the athletic handbook. It will not only allow you to become familiar with our procedures, it will also allow for a smooth transition for you as a new or continued member of the Tyrrell County Schools Wildcat Athletic Program.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact any member of the Tyrrell County Schools Wildcat Athletic Program.
Director of Athletics 2019-20
What is a Columbia Wildcat?
Our Athletes display
Be a role model of optimism in action
Display good manners and compassion and expect that in return
Character is what you do when no one is looking
Use restraint as a tool for self discipline
EXCELLENCESet high standards in excellence in both athletics and academic
Our Columbia Wildcat Athletic
The athletic department at Tyrrell County Schools is an important part of our school’s educational program. We want to ensure that each student‐athlete reaches his or her maximum potential. It is our mission to develop the whole student, not just the athlete, in mind, body and spirit. Specifically, the Athletic Department seeks to provide interested students with the opportunity to participate in its program of interscholastic athletics and is committed to the following:
- To offer a well‐balanced and varied program of interscholastic athletics (based on numbers and the best interest of our student‐athletes)
- To teach the value of competition
- To foster the development of athletic skills
- To encourage the development of a strong work ethic, self‐discipline and self‐sacrifice
- To teach the value of commitment, teamwork and cooperation
- To encourage the development of judgment, character, and leadership
- To teach the value of ethical conduct, sportsmanship, and fair play
- To encourage the development of loyalty and pride in one’s self, their team, and the school community
The Athletic Department expects the following of each participant in the school athletic program:
- To be a worthy representative of teammates, coaches, and the school community, abiding by school and community expectations
- To maintain health and fitness levels by following the training rules prescribed by the Athletic Trainer and Coach
- To reflect the knowledge that commitment to victory is nothing without commitment to hard work in practice
- To understand that athletics is just one part in the big picture with the cornerstone being that a Tyrrell County Schools student strives to achieve excellence in all areas
- To learn to deal with adversity in an honorable way and to capitalize on growth opportunities
- To express feelings intelligently and appropriately
- To accept the responsibilities of team membership: support of teammates, cooperation, positive interaction, and mutual respect
- To help student‐athletes learn how to balance a demanding academic schedule with athletic training and practice schedules
Please click on the following links to access the most recent Columbia High School and Columbia Middle School Wildcat Athletic Schedules.
Any changes to games or schedules during the season will be published here.